Common Star Wars Pronunciations
From Vast Empire Wiki
A reprint from the now-expired blog of Leland Chee, aka the Holocron.
Keeper of the Holocron's Blog by: Tasty Taste date posted: Dec 23, 2005 1:12 AM | updated: Mar 21, 2008 6:08 PM
Preferred pronunciation of popular Star Wars terms.
- Asajj Ventress - ah-SAAZJ
- A'Sharad Hett - AA-shaa-raad
- Borsk Fey'lya - BORSK FAE-lee-yaa
- Caamasi - kaa-aa-MAH-see
- Corran Horn - KORR-runn
- Darth Caedus - KIE-duss (rhymes with "hide us")
- dianoga - die-aa-NOE-gaa
- Elegos A'kla - ELL-ehh-goes AA-klaa
- eopie - ee-OE-pee
- Executor - igg-ZEKK-yoo-tur
- Honoghr - HONN-noe-gerr
- Ilum - ILL-umm
- Jabiim - jaa-BEEM
- Jacen Solo - JAE-senn
- Jorj Car'das - george CAR-dass
- Joruus C'baoth - joe-ROOS suh-BAE-oth
- Kir Kanos - KEER KAE-noes
- krayt dragon - KRATE
- Nar Shaddaa - NAR shah-DAA
- Noghri - NOE-gree
- Captain Pellaeon - PELL-lay-onn
- Tycho Celchu - TIE-koe SELL-choo
- Vergere - vur-ZJEER
- Prince Xizor - SHEE-zor
- Shi'ido - shee-EE-doe
- Ssi-ruuk - SEE-rook
- Trandoshan - TRANN-doe-shann
- Twi'lek - TWYE-lekk (think "twilight")
- Yevetha - yeh-VEE-thaa
- ysalamiri - ee-saal-aa-MEE-ree
- Ysanne Isard - ee-SAAN IE-sard
- Yuuzhan Vong - YOO-zaan
- Zonama Sekot - zoe-NAH-mah SEE-coat
Does the Holocron contain official pronunciations?
Yes. As the official pronunciations are determined, the information is entered into the Holocron. When possible, this information comes directly from the author, provided she/he has a preference. Some authors do not. Since the Holocron can't easily handle the special characters that are used in dictionary pronunciations, we spell them out using normal letters.
Why track official pronunciations? Even within the films, one character will pronounce something one way and another character will pronounce it differently (ie, HANN or HONN; LEE-ah or LAY-ah)
We use pronunciations for several reasons. First off, it gives us a guide when recording voice lines for video games and when recording audio books. Pronunciations are also important for Japanese translations which are dependent on how words sounds rather than how they are spelled.
Which books have a pronunciation guide?
- Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
Karen Traviss's Mando'a, as she is spoke.
Got a name you're just dying to know how to pronounce? Discuss this further in The BC&T Pronunciation Thread.